Tips for Northerners moving South
1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed
to use it.
2. If you forget a Southerner's name, refer to him (or her) as
"Bubba". You have a 75% chance of being right.
3. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we
Stay home the two days of the year it snows.
4. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four
men in the
cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will
be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their
way. This is what they live for.
5. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same
6. Do not buy food at the movie store.
7. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking,
8. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural.
y'all's" is plural possessive.
9. There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a southern
accent, unless it is a southerner imitating a Boston accent.
10. Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?"
11. People walk slower here.
12. Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They
understand you either.
13. The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted
Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol'
truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern
influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in
denial about it.
14. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer
15. Be advised: The "He needed killin'" defense is valid here.
16. If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until
last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.
17. If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"
out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.
18. Most Southerners do not use turn signals, and they ignore
who do. In fact, if you see a signal blinking on a car with a
southern license plate, you may rest assured that it was on when the
car was purchased.
19. Northerners can be identified by the spit on the inside of
car's windshield that comes from yelling at other drivers.
20. The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can
22. If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even
most minuscule accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the
local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the
store, it is just something you're supposed to do.
23. Satellite dishes are very popular in the South. When
purchase one it is to be positioned directly in front of your trailer.
This is logical bearing in mind that the dish cost considerably more
than the trailer and should, therefore, be displayed.
24. Tornadoes and Southerners going through a divorce have a lot
common. In either case, you know someone is going to lose a trailer.
25. Florida is not considered a southern state. There are
Yankees than Southerners living there.
26. In southern churches you will hear the hymn, "All Glory, Laud
Honor". You will also here expressions such as, "Laud, have mercy",
"Good Laud", and
"Laudy, Laudy, Laudy".
27. As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone,
directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to
drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the
proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.
28. You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already
know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off
trying to find it yourself.