* The people who are starting college this fall
across the nation were born in 1980.
* They have no meaningful recollection of the
* They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf
War was waged.
* Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as
the Great Depression.
* Their world has always included AIDS.
* Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums and
cassette audiotapes; they may have heard of an
8-track, but probably never actually seen
(or heard) one.
* The digital Disc was presented to Wall street
when they were 1 year old.
* From their earliest years, a camera was
something you used once and threw away.
* As far as they know, stamps have always cost
about 32 cents.
* Few, if any, have lived without an answering
* Few have used a TV set with only 13 channels.
* Some use the word "clickers" for "remote
control", yet they do not know why they say it.
* They were born the year that Walkmen were
introduced by Sony.
* The expression "you sound like a broken record"
means nothing to them.
"They have never known a time without MTV, but
you remember when it first went on the air."?